This course is suitable for those who may have successfully completed a level 2 qualification in food preparation and cooking to broaden their knowledge of preparing, cooking and finishing food.
When will I start the course and how long will it take?
This course starts in September and will take one year to complete.
What will I study?
Students will learn new techniques and skills in butchery, larder preparations, fine cookery, sauce work, production of fine pastries and confectionery. Students will learn the theory behind the practice and develop the confidence needed to succeed in a culinary career. The following areas will be covered:
- Cooking and finishing complex fish, meat, poultry, vegetable, shellfish and game dishes
- Preparing, cooking and finishing complex hot sauces, dressing and cold sauces
- Preparing, cooking and finishing soups, fresh pasta dishes, bread and dough products, cakes, sponges biscuits, scones and pastry products
- Adhering to health, hygiene, safety and security procedures
- Maintaining food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Developing productive working relationships with colleagues
You will study alongside like-minded people in classes delivered by friendly supportive tutors.
How is it assessed?
You will be assessed through a series of written assignments, food cooking, preparing and serving observations, short tests and a pastry exam.
Do I need any previous qualifications to start this course?
You will need to be driven, ambitious, able to work as part of a team, dedicated to learning and passionate about food.
You will need to have gained one of the following qualifications: Level 2 NVQ in Food Production and Cookery.
What are the course fees?
If you are a school leaver, aged 16-18, (under the age of 19 on or before 31st August 2019), you do not pay tuition fees or examination and registration fees and may be eligible for additional support depending on your financial situation. For more information, please visit our dedicated Financial Support page.
What can I go on to do once I have completed this course?
You will be equipped with the knowledge and skills needed to pursue a career in the hospitality industry, potentially gaining employment in a range of food outlets such as hotels, pubs, restaurants and cruise liners.
Ref: Julie Heap