This course is suitable for students aged 19 and over.
This course is designed to support you to develop the essential knowledge and skills needed when working with children and young people in a residential childcare setting.
As a residential childcare practitioner, you will need to demonstrate a passion to care for and about children, young people, and families, to help them reach their potential, stay safe and achieve positive and sustainable change in their lives.
You should be in paid employment or have a placement in an appropriate setting, for a minimum of 12 hours per week, arranged before the start of the course.
When will I start the course and how long will it take?
The course has flexible start dates throughout the year and will take one year to complete.
You will be assigned a tutor/assessor at the beginning of the course, who will work with you throughout the programme.
There is no full classroom activity, and you will arrange to meet the assessor in College or at their place of work.
What will I study?
You will cover the following units:
- Understand how to safeguard and protect children and young people in residential childcare
- Understand the development of children and young people in residential childcare
- Understand how to support children and young people who have experienced harm or abuse
- Promote effective communication and information handling in residential childcare settings
- Support risk management in residential childcare
- Assessment and planning with children and young people in residential childcare
- Support group living in residential childcare
- Understand how to support positive outcomes for children and young people in residential childcare
- Support attachment and positive relationships for children and young people in residential childcare
- Support children and young people in residential childcare to achieve their learning potential and develop confidence and resilience
- Support children and young people in residential childcare to manage their health
- Support the development of socially aware behaviour with children and young people in residential childcare
- Engage in professional development in residential childcare settings
- Participate in teams to benefit children and young people in residential childcare
How is it assessed?
You will be assessed through a combination of methods including observation, assignment writing, professional discussion, and witness testimony from your manager.
Do I need any previous qualifications to start this course?
No formal qualifications are necessary, although a good standard of English (including listening, reading, and writing skills), as well as basic numeracy skills would be beneficial in order to fulfil job and course requirements.
What are the course fees?
The course fee is £2,882.
If you are aged 19 or over, you may be able to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to cover your course fees. An Advanced Learner Loan enables you to study now, pay later. Loan eligibility is not dependent on income or employment status and there is no credit check. Loan repayments do not start until you have finished your course and earn over £25,000 per year. For more information on the Advanced Learner Loan, please visit our dedicated page.
There are also a number of payment options including an interest-free payment plan with a monthly direct debit payment.
If your employer is willing to fund your course, we can help you to arrange this.
What can I go on to do once I have completed this course?
Upon successful completion of this course, you may choose to secure employment in the following job roles:
- A senior residential worker
- Deputy manager in a residential care home (Working towards L5 Senior Residential Care worker)
- A Manager working in a residential care home (Working towards L5 Senior Residential Care worker)
- A social worker
Are you ready to apply?
However, if you still have questions in relation to this course and wish to receive further information, please submit your enquiry here.
Please note, we have taken our utmost care to describe and show course information as accurately as possible. Knowsley Community College reserves the right to amend, remove and add courses in the future. This information cannot be considered contractual and advertised course fees are subject to change.
Ref: Tammy Halliday