EAL Certificate in Engineering and Technology
Engineering & Manufacturing | Level 1
This study programme gives you a broad introduction into the practices and processes of engineering technology. It takes a hands-on approach to basic engineering training, allowing you to gain both experience and understanding of a range of potential careers in the sector.
At least 3 GCSEs or equivalent at Grade E (new grading 2), including English and/or maths, or A relevant Entry 3 qualification and working at Entry 3 English and/or maths.
If you are a school leaver, aged 16-18, (under the age of 19 on or before 31st August 2018), you do not pay tuition fees or examination and registration fees. Our financial support service, known as ‘College Pays’, is designed to assist students with the costs involved with studying at College. Depending on your circumstances, we have different levels of support.
Find out more at our School Leavers Financial Support page.
Progression and Careers
Upon completion of this, you can progress onto our Level 2 programme, or onto an apprenticeship in Engineering.
Where you will study
IAMT (Main Campus)
What you will study
- Working in Engineering This unit will give learners an understanding of what it is like to work within the world of Engineering and the different career paths available. You will learn how to work and act safely in a busy working environment, developing skills and knowledge which employers recognise as essential.
- Machining Engineering Materials This unit will develop your skills and knowledge using a centre lathe, turning metal to specified tolerances. If you enjoy this unit you may want to follow L2 Mechanical Engineering programme next year.
- Cutting and Forming Engineering Materials This unit will develop your skills in cutting, bending and shaping different types and sizes of metal using a variety of hand and mechanical tools. You will learn the importance of accurate measurement and be able to work from engineering drawings to manufacture parts and components.
You can look into careers in Engineering & Manufacturing , by visiting National Careers Service website
National Careers Service: Job Profiles
The Job Profiles search will give you information on the following:
- the skills and qualifications needed to get into that job
- what the work would be like
- the pay you could expect
- what the career prospects are
To apply for EAL Certificate in Engineering and Technology , use the online application form or call 0151 477 5850 for more information.
Once your application has been processed, you will be contacted and given a date for your Interview Evening. Learner Services Advisers and course tutors will be available to speak with you and provide advice, guidance and information about College life.