This course is suitable for students aged 19 and over.
This qualification provides the skills and knowledge needed to manage practice and lead a team in residential childcare settings for children and young people, including group living.
During the course you will explore the principles of long term care and support for children and young people, including theory and best practice in the use of restraint. You will gain a detailed understanding of the legislation, theoretical approaches, compliance requirements and policies and procedures to successfully manage a residential care home, for children and young people.
The course also offers the learner the opportunity to cover optional topics which are particularly suited to specialised residential childcare and respite care settings.
When will I start the course and how long will it take?
The course has flexible start dates throughout the year and will take one year to complete.
Attendance at College is not required as the qualification is delivered within the workplace. You will be assigned a tutor/assessor at the beginning of the course, who will work with you throughout the programme.
What will I study?
The course covers the following mandatory units:
- Understand children and young people’s development in residential childcare
- Understand support for children and young people who are vulnerable and disadvantaged
- Lead and manage a team within a residential childcare setting
- Lead practice to support the safeguarding and protection of children and young people in
- Lead practice for communication and information management in residential childcare
- Manage risk in residential childcare
- Lead and manage group living in residential childcare
- Lead a service that can support children or young people who have experienced harm or abuse
- Lead practice to achieve positive outcomes for children and young people in residential
- Implement a Positive Relationship Policy in residential childcare
- Lead practice to support the well-being and resilience of children and young people in residential childcare
- Lead practice in safe use of digital, internet and mobile technology with children and young
- Undertake professional development in residential childcare settings
- Lead practice to promote the rights, diversity and equality of children and young people in residential childcare
- Lead networks and multi-agency work to benefit children and young people in residential
You will also have the opportunity to select optional units, which include:
- Lead practice to support young people leaving care
- Understand the context of residential childcare for children and young people with complex disabilities or conditions
How is it assessed?
The course will be assessed via assignments, observations of practice, work products and witness statements from a line manager.
Do I need any previous qualifications to start this course?
You should have successfully completed level 3 Diploma in Residential Childcare, or an equivalent qualification.
A good standard of English and numeracy would also be beneficial in order to fulfil job and course requirements and you should have achieved GCSEs at grade 4 or above (equivalent to grade C or above) in English and maths, or the equivalent such as level 2 functional skills.
What are the course fees?
The total cost of this course is £2,882.
If you are aged 19 or over, you could also choose to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to cover your course fees enabling you to study now, pay later. Loan eligibility isn’t dependent on income or employment status and there is no credit check. Loan repayments don’t start until you have finished your course and earn over £27,295 per year. For more information, please visit our dedicated Advanced Learner Loan page.
There are also a number of payment options including an interest-free payment plan with a monthly direct debit payment.
If your employer is willing to fund your course, we can help you to arrange this.
What can I go on to do once I have completed this course?
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be equipped to work as a residential or community based childcare manager for a specific home or a range of homes within a company.
Are you ready to apply?
Simply fill in our online form here.
However, if you still have questions in relation to this course and wish to receive further information, please submit your enquiry here.
Please note, we have taken our utmost care to describe and show course information as accurately as possible. Knowsley Community College reserves the right to amend, remove and add courses in the future. This information cannot be considered contractual and advertised course fees are subject to change.
Ref: Clare Mallett